9
Jul

MarcosGiraltIE

On June 27th IE hosted a talk on “What is Literature and what can we expect of it? The profession of writing” led by renowned writer and literary critic Marcos Giralt Torrente. The speaker shared with the audience his vision of literature, the current situation of the world of publishing, and some marvelous pieces of literary work.

Giralt started by explaining what we commonly mean by literature, going back to the times when oral literature was born and its subsequent transition to writing.  After defining the historical meaning of literature, the speaker shared his point of view that “not every published book is literature”. To support his argument he read an article by Enrique Vila-Matas which explained why JM. Coetzee is considered literature, but not Dan Brown. Mr Girald said “the true author looks for conflicts with difficult answers,” as opposed to superficial writers. The speaker also stated that “art doesn’t have to be beautiful but rather sincere,” and the most important thing about an authors is how he or she looks at things. In addition to the article by Catalan author Enrique Vila, the speaker also read texts from Scott Fitgerald’s Letters to my Daughter in order to explain how an author must feel things.

After giving his point of view of literature, Giralt analyzed the current complicated situation of the publishing industry, stating that “in the publishing world there is a lot of talk about the end of literature, but literary genres rise and fall, they are in constant metamorphosis”. He also confirmed that he doesn’t share the idea that the outlook for literature is gloomy, and that despite the fact that new generations seem to prefer visual entertainment to reading, he doesn’t see it as the end of the book.

The end of the talk focused on literary curiosities. Giralt went back to Coetzee and talked about his book Summertime, in which the Nobel Prize winner includes himself in the narrative, but he is already dead and the main character is a person that is researching his life when he was in his thirties in order to write his biography. Giralt concluded that “it is important to examine one’s experience as in today’s world there is more demand for real-life literature than fiction.”

After the conference, the IE community enjoyed a dynamic Q&A session during which Giralt was asked about his vision of literature, his work, and his recommendations for amateur writers.

due date movie July 12, 2013 - 2:08 pm

Thanks for sharing your info. I truly appreciate your
efforts and I will be waiting for your next post thanks once
again.

perder peso July 12, 2013 - 10:53 pm

The sweet and sour dried goji berry is ready for consumption and has a great taste.

It important to consult with healthcare providers before consuming
anything that may have a negative reaction with other medications.
This fruit juice is especially helpful to men because of its tendency to provide significant virility boosts by lowering muscular degeneration levels and in
maintaining healthy arteries.

cucito creativo facile luglio 2011 como July 16, 2013 - 12:42 pm

cucito creativo facile luglio 2011 como…

IE hosts the talk “What is Literature and what can we expect of it? The profession of writing” | Humanities blog…

slow your computer August 16, 2013 - 8:13 am

The full version enables all features allowing you for complete
protection and secure feeling. That is why, mostly it is seen that only operating system
vendors and device vendors develop drivers.
I have used Vista on a PC and I can tell you from experience that at 1GB of RAM Vista, crawls at a snails pace.

Tatiana November 1, 2013 - 8:46 am

Hello! I could have sworn I’ve been to this blog before but after reading through
some of the post I realized it’s new to me. Anyhow, I’m definitely glad
I found it and I’ll be bookmarking and checking back frequently!

querosuplemento.sosblogs.com January 29, 2014 - 12:19 am

Link exchaոge is nothing else except iit iis just placing the other person’s weblog
link on yоour paɡe aat aрpropriate plade and other ƿerson wikl also do similar in support of you.

dietafacilblog.tumblr.com January 29, 2014 - 1:52 am

I waѕ curious if you ever thought of changing tҺe structure
of your website? Its very well written; I love what youe got to say.

But mɑybe you cluld a little moe in the way of content so people coould connect with it better.
Youvе got an awful lot of text for only having one or two images.
Maybe you coսld ѕpace іt out better?

tumblr.com February 2, 2014 - 7:30 am

Hmm it looks likе ʏour blg ate my firrst commеnt (it was extremely
lonǥ) so I guess I’ll just sum іt up what I wrߋte and say, I’m
thoroughly enjoying your blog. I as well aam an aspiring blog writer bսt I’m still
new to the whole tҺing. Do you have any helpful
hints for novіce blog writers? I’d certainly aprеciate іt.