26
Apr

From Amsterdam to Istanbul, Art and Diplomacy

Written on April 26, 2012 by Banafsheh Farhangmehr in Arts & Cultures & Societies

Turkey and the Netherlands are celebrating 400 years of diplomatic ties with a yearlong series of events, including an exhibition that draws parallels between the Dutch of the 17th century and the Turks of today.

“Where Darkness Meets Light —Rembrandt and his Contemporaries: The Golden Age of Dutch Art” at the Sakip Sabanci Museum features masterpieces lent by the Rijksmuseum in Amsterdam and anonymous U.S. donors.

Now the Dutch are grappling with the euro zone crisis andimmigration issues, but during the 1600s, the Netherlands’ booming economy gave rise to an expanded middle class whose merchants could finally afford to buy and commission works of art, an activity once the realm of nobility and religious leaders.

With a fleet of ships bringing porcelain from China, tobacco from the Americas and silks from the Ottoman Empire, the Dutch middle class developed a taste for luxury goods, much as the newly wealthy in Turkey seek the latest in cars, clothes and technology. Art galleries are proliferating in Istanbul as investor interest mushrooms.

Pieter Roelofs, curator of 17th-century Dutch painting at the Rijksmuseum and the curator of the Sabanci exhibition, sees parallels with Amsterdam and Istanbul, a city reveling in its own Golden Age.

“It’s interesting when you see all that is going on in Istanbul right now compared with when I was there for the first time 20 years ago as a backpacker,” he said recently by telephone as he worked on another Rembrandt exhibition in Prague. “It’s quite remarkable how the city has expanded, and with the energy you feel from its very talented young people and young artists, you feel that this city is really doing well.

“This is not the same all across Turkey of course, but the feeling you would have had in Amsterdam around 1650 is probably comparable to what is going on in Istanbul right now.”

Continue reading in The New York Times 

Carb Backloading June 6, 2013 - 9:41 am

I don’t try and lift as well heavy in the fitness center at this stage because I know that I will not obtain any new muscle throughout the last month prior to a contest, I am just trying to maintain my muscle mass and get leaner.

rabaty August 31, 2013 - 3:32 pm

Check this out…

Here are some of the sites we recommend for our visitors…

bluetooth portable speaker October 29, 2013 - 4:52 pm

Hi i am kavin, its my first tike to commenting anyplace, when i read
this paragraph i thought i could also create comment due tto this brilliant post.

slots January 27, 2014 - 7:28 am

I love your blog.. very nice colors & theme. Did you make this website yourself or did you hire someone to
do it for you? Plz respond as I’m looking to
construct my own blog and would like to know where u got this from.
thanks a lot

www.resources-to-go.com August 1, 2014 - 8:02 am

hello therе ɑnd thank you for ƴoսr information – I hɑve certainly pickeԁ uρ anything
new from right here. I did however exрertise
several technical points using this website, since I experienced to reloаd the web site a lot
of timеs previous to I could get it to load correctly.
I had been wondeгing if your hosting is OK?
Not that I’m complaining, but ѕluggish loading instances times
will sometimes аffect your placement in google and could damage your high-quality score
if ads and marketing with Adwords. Anyաay I am aɗding this RSS to my emаil and can look out for
much more of yߋur respective fascinating content.
Ensure that you uƿdаtе this agаin νerʏ ѕoon.

Hannelore March 17, 2015 - 12:51 am

Howdy! I know this is kind of ߋff topic but I ѡas wondering which blog platform ɑre you using for this site?
I’m getting fed up of WordPress beсause I’ve had issues witɦ hackers andd I’m lօoking at options for another
platform. I would bе fantastic if ʏou could point
me in the direction օf a good platform.