7
Oct

Nobel prize for literature goes to Tomas Tranströmer

Written on October 7, 2011 by Banafsheh Farhangmehr in Arts & Cultures & Societies

Swedish poet acclaimed for ‘condensed translucent images’ which give us ‘fresh access to reality’

The Swedish Academy has awarded the 2011 Nobel prize for literature to one of its own: the Swedish poet Tomas Tranströmer.

Tranströmer becomes the eighth European to win the world’s premier literary award in the past 10 years, following the German novelist Herta Müller in 2009, the French writer JMG le Clézio in 2008 and the British novelist Doris Lessing in 2007.

Sweden’s most famous poet becomes the 104th literature laureate, and is the first poet to take the laurels since Poland’s Wislawa Szymborska in 1996. Praised by the judges for his “condensed translucent images”, which give us “fresh access to reality”, Tranströmer’s surreal explorations of the inner world and its relation to the jagged landscape of his native country have been translated into more than 50 languages.

Peter Englund, permanent secretary of the Swedish Academy, admitted that the choice of a Swede could be seen as controversial internationally but said that it hadn’t happened for almost 40 years; in 1974, Swedish authors Eyvind Johnson and Harry Martinson took the prize jointly.

Continue reading in The Guardian

Excellent goods from you, man. I've take note your stuff prior to and you're just extremely excellent. I actually like what you've got here, certainly like what you are saying and the way in which wherein you say it. You make it entertaining and you conti April 4, 2012 - 5:27 pm

Hey There. I discovered your blog using msn. That is an extremely well written article. I’ll be sure to bookmark it and return to read extra of your useful info. Thank you for the post. I will definitely comeback.

Junko May 20, 2015 - 5:15 am

Howdy just wanted to give you a quick heads up.

The words in your content seem to be running off the screen in Ie.
I’m not sure if this is a formatting issue or something to do with internet browser compatibility but I figured I’d post to let you know.

The design and style look great though! Hope you get the problem fixed soon. Cheers

Darcey May 21, 2015 - 7:49 pm

Hi there! Quick question that’s entirely off topic. Do
you know how to make your site mobile friendly? My blog looks weird when viewing from my iphone.

I’m trying to find a template or plugin that might be able to resolve
this issue. If you have any suggestions, please share.

With thanks!