22
Sep

The artist’s work sells for millions, so no surprise that his posters for Barcelona’s last bullfight are disappearing from the streets.

His paintings sell for up to £4m, but a limited edition copy of Spanish artist Miquel Barceló’s latest work can be had for free – if you know how to peel posters off walls without tearing them.

Barceló’s 1,500 posters appeared glued onto hoardings, pillars and walls in Barcelona this week after Spain‘s most commercially successful artist volunteered to design what is set to be the last-ever bullfight poster to decorate the city’s streets.

With bullfighting to be banned in Catalonia at the end of this year, Barceló asked to paint the poster for the Catalan capital’s last bullfight.

The fight, on Sunday, features Barceló’s friend José Tomás as one of the three matadors. It closes the season, and marks the death of bullfighting at the city’s Monumental bullring.

Miquel Barceló’s poster for Barcelona’s last bullfight

Barceló’s poster has provoked a frenzy of art madness, with fans of both the artist and bullfighting desperately trying to get their hands on what is already a collector’s item.

Queues have formed outside the offices of the fly-posting company charged with pasting them onto the city’s walls.

“In 30 years of fly-posting I have never seen anything like it,” company boss Carles Cunillera told Barcelona’s La Vanguardia newspaper. “We have had to tell people we can’t give them away.”

José Tomás is one of the most popular matadors of the moment, and is especially adored by those bullfight-loving artists and intellectuals who criticise the Catalan ban for censoring what they see as an art form.

Barceló, whose works sell for more than those of any other living Spanish artist, designed another poster for Tomás in 2007, when the bullfighter came out of a five-year retirement.

Tomás is a famous risk-taker and only recently came back after 15 months recovering from a goring suffered in a Mexican bullring.

Barceló’s most valuable paintings are bullfight scenes, with one fetching £4m at Christie’s in London this June. They continue a Spanish tradition that stretches back through Pablo Picasso to Francisco de Goya.

Continue reading in The Guardian

Hey this is a wonderful looking site, is wordpress? Forgive me for the foolish question but if so, what theme is? Thanks! April 4, 2012 - 9:43 am
I was just seeking this info for some time. After six hours of continuous Googleing, at last I got it in your site. I wonder what is the lack of Google strategy that don't rank this kind of informative sites in top of the list. Generally the top web sites April 4, 2012 - 9:43 am

I do not even understand how I finished up right here, however I believed this put up was great. I don’t realize who you might be but certainly you are going to a famous blogger if you are not already. Cheers!

pozycjonowanie stron szczecin April 26, 2013 - 10:17 pm

This design is steller! You certainly know how to keep a reader amused.
Between your wit and your videos, I was almost moved to start my own blog (well, almost.
..HaHa!) Wonderful job. I really enjoyed what you had
to say, and more than that, how you presented it. Too cool!

strony internetowej January 31, 2014 - 5:07 pm

With havin so much content do you ever run into any problems of
plagorism or copyright violation? My blog has a lot of exclusive
content I’ve either authored myself or outsourced but it looks
like a lot of it is popping it up all over the web without my agreement.
Do you know any solutions to help prevent content from being ripped off?
I’d certainly appreciate it.

http://bestdatingsitesnow.com May 14, 2015 - 8:51 am

This is my first time pay a visit at here and i am genuinely happy
to read everthing at alone place.