8
Apr

The Nukus Museum of Art in Karakalpakstan, one of the most remote regions of the former Soviet Union, is a modern-day miracle on many levels. Its creation, collection and precarious persistence seem entirely improbable, were it not all documented in a fine new film, “The Desert of Forbidden Art“.

Like the Irish monks who helped save the written word during the Dark Ages, a man named Igor Savitsky worked to save Russian avant-garde artwork during the decades of dark Soviet repression. In 1932 the Soviets called for an end to so-called “degenerate” bourgeois art, halting one of the most fertile and creative periods of modern art anywhere in the world. Instead, the Soviets unleashed several decades of shticky socialist-realist paintings of happy factory workers and robust women working the land. No official museum dared show anything else.

Continue reading in The Economist

Today, I went to the beachfront with my children. I found a sea shell and gave it to my 4 year old daughter and said "You can hear the ocean if you put this to your ear." She placed the shell to her ear and screamed. There was a hermit crab inside and it April 4, 2012 - 4:39 am

I’ve been surfing on-line greater than 3 hours nowadays, but I never discovered any attention-grabbing article like yours. It’s lovely value enough for me. Personally, if all webmasters and bloggers made excellent content as you probably did, the web will be much more useful than ever before.

Mckenzie May 16, 2015 - 10:42 pm

Stunning quest there. What happened after? Take care!