11
Jan

A new museum dedicated solely to the works of Salvador Dali is set to open in Florida today and will be the permanent home of the most comprehensive collection of the surrealist’s art work in the world.

The 66,450-square-foot museum in St Petersburg has been given a fittingly striking design by world-renowned architect Yann Weymouth, who helped to create the glass pyramid at the Louvre in Paris.

Similar glass panelling has been used for the exterior of the Dali museum, along with reinforced concrete, which is able to withstand a Category 5 hurricane.

Inside there will be a grand ‘double-helix’ staircase in the centre of the museum, which reaches nearly the full height of the 75-foot-high atrium.

When visitors reach the top of the staircase, they will enter the exhibition space containing the permanent collection of over 2000 items, including 96 oil paintings, 125 drawings and watercolors, 2,500 prints and photographs, 250 objets d’art, and a 5,000 book library.

The new $36 million building is twice the size of Florida’s original Dali museum, which was built in 1982.

The first level of the museum will feature a 90-seat theatre, 150-seat community hall, a café and a museum shop. The museum will also host special family activities, film screenings, curator talks and yoga classes.

The core of the museum’s art was collected by an Oho couple – philanthropists Albert Reynolds and Eleanor Morse – who enjoyed a long friendship with the artist. They bought their first Dali painting in 1942 and continued to collect the artist’s work throughout their lives.

As published in Mail Online

Jasa Arsitektur Online December 23, 2011 - 4:24 am

I like what you guys are up to. Such intelligent work and reporting! Carry on with the excellent works guys. I’ve incorporated you guys to my blogroll. I think it will improve the value of my web site Jasa Arsitek Desain Arsitektur Online Design Gambar Denah Model Rumah Minimalis Modern Murah Seluruh Indonesia

saleho March 31, 2012 - 5:19 pm
Thanks for the strategies you have contributed here. Furthermore, I believe there are a few factors that will keep your auto insurance premium decrease. One is, to contemplate buying motors that are inside the good listing of car insurance businesses. Car April 4, 2012 - 10:38 am

Fantastic publish, very informative. I wonder why the other specialists of this sector do not notice this. You must proceed your writing. I’m sure, you have a great readers’ base already!|What’s Happening i’m new to this, I stumbled upon this I have found It positively helpful and it has aided me out loads. I hope to contribute & aid different customers like its helped me. Great job.

Contoh Skripsi Teknik Sipil March 9, 2013 - 12:09 pm

hii …… thanks for the information provided in the information very useful, I love it …

Contoh Skripsi Teknik Sipil May 15, 2013 - 9:02 am

hiii,,,, tanks for your informations…. I like it..

tips komputer May 15, 2013 - 9:04 am

information provided is complete and clear, thank you comrade Atasa share information on…

Szilagyi…

A new museum dedicated solely to the works of Salvador Dali is set to open in Florida today and will be the permanent home of the most comprehensive collection…