29
Oct

Private Vices, Public Virtues

Written on October 29, 2007 by Arantza de Areilza in Arts & Cultures & Societies, Literature, Philosophy

(Click here for this post in Spanish)

Arantza de Areilza

180pxthefableofbeesmandeville1

In these shadowy days of national and international politics, the memory comes to me of the figure Bernard de Mandeville, doctor and philosopher, of Dutch origins and his great work “The Fable of the Bees” situated in the England at the beginning of the 18th century. 

This context of historic upheaval, marked by the dethroning of James II of England by William of Orange-Nasseau in the revolution of 1688, the stir caused by the death of Ann Stuart, daughter of James II, the ascension to the throne of the House of Hanover in 1714, the continuing strength acquired by the Jacobites which seemed to threaten the stability of England, and the bankruptcy of religious legitimacies since the 17th century, the insistence of conservative and moralistic strength of the age, in which the importance of virtue and the civic spirit to conserve the cohesion of society was renewed.  A society in the midst of drastic change, with accelerated growth of the urban centers and precarious living conditions of the humble classes.  In this instability, political as well as economic, he considered the public necessity to morally instruct to the society taking steps to what was called Civic Humanism, based in the belief of the public necessity to control private immorality. 

Mandeville resisted this course and, and therefore, the idea of necessity to repress private vice to the benefit of the well being of the Nation.  He rejected the moral interpretation of public life, attributing it to those who did not understand Man, and that the true force which controls is nothing other than personal interest or selfishness.  He expanded on a theory of progress and of the functioning of society based upon acts of individual interest in which virtue and civility are substituted for selfishness and commercial wealth.  For Mandeville, the things that the moralists of the 18th century considered vices were precisely the passions which contributed material prosperity.  Therefore, man should accept his natural selfishness and make adequate use of it converting vice into virtue.  The social cohesion was based in a mutual necessity and not in religious virtue.  The social progress arose from the passions and vices of men, and their passions, were compensated by the interest, allowing them to live in peace. 

This remind us that the demands of moral reform are often aroused by selfishness, hypocrisy or pride and insist that, in every complex society, vice mixes with virtue, which is never a nexus for social unity. 

“The Fable of the Bees” speaks about the complex relations between good and evil, or between virtues and vices, or of the certainty of the difficult transformation of personal interests in economic life in the function of a collective well being.  The formula, “private vices, public virtues” is this “force that wants to create evil and always creates good” as Goethe’s Mephistopheles would say.  It is the idea of Kantian “unsociable sociability” or Adam Smith’s “invisible hand.”  It is the liberal idea, according to which, the common good or the collective interest, is only possible through the individual search of their own interest or benefit.  It is the desire of all men by obtaining more and the eternal feeling of dissatisfaction which leads them to do whatever they can to obtain the desired.  It is, as Max Weber said, the step of the search of the daemon to the pact with the Devil: my next theme. 

TonY October 30, 2007 - 2:02 am

La colmena,ese espacio de ley, armas, confort, lujo, monarquía algunos trabajan duro otros no; así debería ser el mundo para que funcione. Aceptando mi egoísmo como sugiere Mandeville seré rey consorte en la colmena y el resto que trabaje.

Miguel Herrero October 30, 2007 - 10:11 pm

La teoría social del bien común que surge de los egoísmos individuales tiene como correlato biológico el modelo darwinista de la evolución. La última versión, explicada para los no especialistas, es El gen egoísta, de Richard Dawkins (The Selfish Gene, 1976).

TonY October 31, 2007 - 1:35 am

En mi afán por ser el protagonista dentro del elenco de esta colmena olvide que los zánganos no tienen cabida dentro. Mandelville nos describió en la “fábula de las abejas” ¿un perfecto matriarcado? A juzgar por algunas sociedades que lo fueron o lo son, no suelen ser un éxito de convivencia y de futuro.

Orviax Male Enhancement August 16, 2013 - 4:09 pm

What’s up friends, how is all, and what you would like to say regarding this post, in my view its genuinely amazing for me.

rabaty August 31, 2013 - 4:24 pm

Check this out…

Here are some of the sites we recommend for our visitors…

rabaty August 31, 2013 - 6:04 pm

Recent Blogroll Additions…

I saw this really great post today….

rabaty August 31, 2013 - 11:03 pm

Recommeneded website…

below you’ll find the link to some sites that we think you should visit…

rabaty September 1, 2013 - 12:02 am

You should check this out…

I saw this really great post today….

best eye cream January 28, 2014 - 1:30 pm

I take pleasure in, result in I discovered just what I used to be taking a look
for. You have ended my 4 day lengthy hunt! God Bless you man.
Have a nice day. Bye

cook t shirt breaking bad August 2, 2014 - 9:41 am

Ӊeyy there, I think your bloց mignt be having bгowser сompatibility issues.
When I look at your website in Ie, it loοks fune buut when opening
in Internet Explorer, it has some overlaρping.
I just wanted to gіve you a quick eads uр! Other then that,
verƴ good bloǥ!

Obagi nu derm Clear November 4, 2014 - 10:56 am

Rose Absolute – Created with petals from the Bulgarian rose and distilled using ‘enfleurage’ or
solvent extraction. Aveeno soothing bath treatment is another product that my pediatrician recommended for my children with eczema
and dry skin. The sensitivity allows us to recognize when something could damage our health.

ผ้าปูที่นอน March 13, 2015 - 6:11 am

I’m excited to discover this great site. I need to to thank you for ones time just for this fantastic read!!
I definitely loved every little bit of it and i also have you book marked to check out new stuff on your web site.

quebec March 19, 2015 - 1:16 am

L’acquisition du design graphique par le CNAP s’explique sûrement par la reconnaissance étendue de tout types d’arts.

Lan May 20, 2015 - 11:00 pm

I’m not sure where you are getting your info, but great topic.
I needs to spend some time learning more or understanding more.
Thanks for wonderful info I was looking for this information for my mission.